|My first thought was that Tess was fed a firecracker, but I think the pressurized can sounds more likely.
Poor Tess. Being bad is a lot of work! I'm so glad to hear she's recovering this quickly.
|Poor Tess. We'll probably never know what happened to Tess (unless she starts talking!) -- definitely sounds like she bit into something.
Danes seem to be prone to weird things. My one dogs mother (at the breeders) got a hold of a can of dog food and decided to eat the entire can - ended up killing her as it got stuck in the intestinal track and by the time they figured out what was going on she died. My other dogs brother (also at breeder) was rough housing with the other dogs and hit his nose hard on the concrete floor. Ended up rupturing a major vessel in the nose/brain that they couldn't fix despite trying -- he was put down so as not to bleed to death.
|What a horrible experience for all! I can't imagine what could have happened, but it is scary. I always worry when Blue gets loose because he knows no strangers and not all strangers are nice.
Glad to hear Tess is better(and Mom)
|My husband is an explosive and firearm expert in the film industry, so I made him read this. The first thing that came to mind was 'booby trap'. Do you have neighbors, or know the owners of neighboring property? He says that rifle shell casings are an easy and common method of booby trap - it'll explode when tampered with (I didn't understand how when he esplained it to me). It would result in the shrapnel like you mentioned. (Moreso than an aeresol can, I would think). I would check with neighbors or property owners nearby, or previous owners of your property.
Poor baby - I hope she learned her lesson! (yeah, right...)
|How awful! Within the first few weeks of owning my dane, she managed to eat a box of rat poison that she dug from under a recessed counter. It was very scary but she was fine with emergency help and antibiotics. i hope you figure out what happened so as to prevent it from happening again.
|Both my Mom and I are happy Tess is doing well.
|Poor Tess! We have had escapees from time to time and know how it feels to look for an MIA Dane.
A friend's boxer had a similar episode. The boxer ran into some bushes, and came out a short time later choking, gagging and bleeding from the mouth. She had put the butt end of a stick about 1" in diameter through the roof of her mouth and on through to the jaw muscle. At last word, she is doing much better after surgery similar to Tess'.
Could Tess have run into the end of something metal??? A small pipe??? Maybe the metal was fatigued and splintered???
Whatever it was, I'm glad to hear Tess is healing and apparetnly with her free spirit intact.
|It sounds like Tess grabbed something that exploded in her mouth-- the aerosol can is one possibility, or maybe some type of home-made bomb/firecracker?
I have heard of people making bombs out of tennis balls, and have read (newspaper) about a case of an owner who found a tennis ball and was playing with it with his Lab... The ball eventually exploded- the dog, sadly, did not make it :(
|it would be interesting to hear what an animal communicator would have to say. a good communicator could get the story right from the horse's (or in this case, great dane's) mouth